Monday, February 04, 2013

Motivation Monday - 1st Month Goal Update




Wow - one month of 2013 already gone. How does that even happen??

After getting back into the post-holiday day-to-day schedule of my job, and recovering from being sick for an entire week, let's see how I'm doing with my 2013 goals so far:

Learn
1. Complete the NGS Home Study Course by June. This is by far my most important goal for this year.
Lesson 6 has been submitted and Lesson 7 is underway. I just have to find time to get to one of the local churches to do the hands-on survey so I can submit the lesson. Will need to complete through Lesson 10 by the end of February in order to stay on schedule.

2. Attend IGHR in June. I want to finish the NGS-HSC before I do this.
I got in!! I registered for Course 2 on January 22. 

3. Attend FGS in Ft. Wayne in August.
Registration doesn't open until some time in February. But I already have my hotel room reserved! (Fortunately, I'll have until July 1 to register with the earlybird discount).

4. Get into a ProGen Study Group by July.
I was informed that the waiting list is around 4 months right now, so I went ahead and put my name on the list. I received my confirmation email this past Wednesday. I'm already scared!

Research
5. Perform a census survey/census search for each direct-line individual on my tree through my 2nd great grandparents. (See this post for explanation)
I'm systematically working backwards through my pedigree chart, and so far I've done two. Good thing I gave myself a year to finish this one.

6. Obtain DNA tests for my maternal uncle, my maternal grandmother, and my father.

7. Double-check source citations in RootsMagic for accuracy. I'd like to get through my 2nd great grandparents on this one too.
I tried to work this one in with my census survey, but was quickly reminded that I really can't do more than one thing at a time.

Write
8. Blog at least twice per week. I've really fallen off on this and I want to get back on track.
Well, I only have 3 blog posts for January. I really need to stay on top of this.

9. Add 5 new ancestor biographies to my website and update WikiTree accordingly.

10. Contribute at least two articles to society quarterly.

Other
11. Transfer website and blog to new host. This will involve a complete redesign of my website, relinking of all my toolbox links, and transferring my blog to WordPress.
So far, so good. Domain transferred (as of January 1, mind you), and all pages have been transferred! Take a look here. I'm still having a very hard time letting go of my Blogger site and posting solely on my self-hosted WordPress site. For one thing, I can't easily change the color of my fonts, and that is kind of important for me. (So if anyone has any helpful hints, I'd love to hear them!)

12. Join APG - probably the Second Life chapter.
Done!  Now if I can just figure out how to resolve the scheduling conflict so I can attend the meetings in Second Life ...

13. Continue my indexing efforts for FamilySearch. I'd like to index a minimum of 100 records per month. (I know this seems low, but in light of goals #1-4, I'd like to actually be able to meet this!)
Hmm ... so far, NOT so good. I haven't indexed at all this month.

Do we share any ancestors? 
Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

2 comments:

Kathy Chastain said...

WOW! do you time for a life outside of genealogy?

Unknown said...

It does get in the way ... life, I mean. I am one lottery win away from being "done" with my family tree :)

Post a Comment