Sunday, December 18, 2011

COOKIEPALOOZA (2nd annual) 2011

Today is Bake Cookies Day.  So I did.  A lot.  Those of you who follow me on Facebook have probably seen the pictures of all the cookies I've been baking today*.  For those of you who haven't ... ta da!


This is really more impressive if you know that I hate to cook.  I have basically come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to any food product that isn't handed to me through a window.  Baking, on the other hand, is a completely different story.  Might have something to do with the end product ... jury's still out.
The "before" picture
(none of the refrigerated items are shown -
mainly because I forgot them for the photo op
).
I first had to prep ... which is the hardest part for me.  I like instant gratification.  However, some dough had to be chilled before it could be used.  I can deal with that because I know how awesome the cookies are, and I'm flexible that way.


What was disappointing is that (probably because I don't cook), I forgot to get the butter out of the fridge last night - hence, all the recipes (which is about 90% of them) that called for "soft" or "room temperature" butter had to wait.  Of course, those are the ones that also have to be chilled before the dough can be manipulated into complete cookie awesomeness.


While I was waiting for the butter to soften, I went ahead and made my first batch: Pizzelles!
I remember having these back when I was little.  I always thought I was being a little bit naughty when I ate them because they have whiskey in them!  (The recipe also makes like 8 billion cookies, so I realize why we always had some).


With the butter finally softened, I got the dough mixed and chilled.  My next batch was Tea Time Toffees (or tiny pecan pies).  My grandmother used to make these and I always thought they were amazing!
Mental note: don't forget to set the timer
Normally they are much prettier than this, but I let them stay in the oven a minute or two too long and they got a little burnt on the top.  Still totally edible - and if no one wants them, I'll eat them.


Next up: Dusty Roads:
These are a new addition to the event this year.  It's a buttery cookie  with walnuts and a hint of cinnamon that nearly melts in your mouth.  Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but there's a light dusting of powdered sugar.  They would be perfect with after-dinner coffee ... or for breakfast ... whichever.


Next I decided to work on the Kiss Cookies.  I made these last year, and I forgot what a pain it was to unwrap all those kisses.  But they seem to be everyone's favorite.  So, next year either Hershey will start making kisses without wrappers, or I am going to the craft store to get the cheap stuff.
The oven needed a break for a little while (so did I), so I decided to whip up some Kahlua fudge with walnuts real quick.  Yum!
Fudge with walnuts.  Yumminess factor = 10!
Next I made the foundations for my Horseshoe Cookies and my Melting Lace Cookies.  Those will require some additional "dressing" after they cool off, so we'll come back to those.

This is another new addition this year.  I got the recipe from (of all places) the lady in the call center for Medicare when I called to check on the status of a letter we needed for one of our clients.  I think she called them Peanut Clusters ... if not, it sounds like a good enough name to me.  These were so easy to make, I made two batches.
Then came the Kix Brittle - like peanut brittle, except with Kix cereal.  It only takes about 10 minutes to make, then once it cools, you get to smash it up! 
Note: this candy gets very hot.  If you try to make this, use a wooden spoon.
Plastic or nylon will melt.
Now for my two favorites - Melting Lace and Horseshoe Cookies!
Butter cookies with semi-sweet chocolate and fun sprinkles!


Dark chocolate sandwiched between two delicate oatmeal cookies

Whew!  I can't wait to get them all packaged up for delivery on Tuesday!

*I'll be happy to share the recipes for any of these with whoever wants them.  Just ask!

3 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

That is an amazing bunch of cookies. The Kahlua fudge sounds fabulous - I'm thinking that would probably the kind of chocolate dessert my husband would really like.

Susan Clark said...

You seriously did this in ONE day? I am more than impressed - I'm in awe. Adore the pizzelles, too. We used to live near a dear friend who made these all the time. I miss her for many reasons, but those cookies were heaven.

Unknown said...

Greta, the Kahlua fudge is fantastic (and super easy). Highly recommended. I'll post the recipe when I get home :)

Susan - technically yes, I did it in one day. However, I did all the grocery shopping the day before. The best part about pizzelles? They freeze (which may be why the recipe makes enough for an entire year)!

Post a Comment